Image Map

Thursday, November 8, 2012

Taco night. (a post from 2 weeks ago)

No... Not tonight.

But we did just get back from Mexico! It was AMAZING! We were attending a YWAM conference called "The Acts 1 Gathering"... Based on The book of Acts, chapter 1, from the Bible.

Basically a bunch of believers gather together to pray and worship Jesus and the Holy Spirit moves powerfully.

One of the things I learned this week is that my life is less like a sprint and more like a marathon.

No one taught on this subject, actually I feel like it was something God was showing me in prayer.

As I prayed I saw a picture of myself running a race and I was in the lead! People were cheering and talking about how amazing of a runner I was! It felt so good. But then... I found out that I was actually running a marathon and I still had 26 miles to go!

Of course I couldn't finish the race... I didn't have the strength... So I had to quit.

As the mental picture continued I saw myself running another race. This one was a marathon too... Only I was not in the lead. In fact I blended in with the crowd. No one could tell where I was in the sea of runners. But while I ran I drank water. I ate protein bars. I paced myself. Because in this race, unlike the other one, I KNEW it was a marathon.

Through these two pictures I felt God showing me that I am someone who always wants to be the best. And though my drive for excellence can be a gift, I often allow it to become a weakness. I struggle with perfectionism. I stress and strive to meet the expectations of others, aiming to be "ahead", getting my value from their opinions of me, rather than enjoying the peace of being a daughter of God.

But God doesn't need me to be "in the lead"... or to be "winning"... at everything I do. Those things are nice, but they are not the goal. My goal is Jesus. My goal is to stand before Him at the end of my life and receive the treasure of eternity with Him.

This means that I am able to take a deep breath and approach my life and responsibilities with a fresh perspective. Life is not quick sprint. Life is a marathon.. And like a marathon.... my goal is not to always be ahead of everyone else. My goal is to finish well. So I need to pace myself and keep my eye on the goal.


"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us" Hebrews 12:1


Here are some photos from Mexico!
We walked into a Mexicon gas station with some dance music pumping... suddenly WITHOUT ANY PLANNING INVOLVED out entire group started dancing all crazy. People legitimately thought it was a flash mob. 
Calling All Skaters in Ensenada. 
Tijuana sunset. 
husband and I in Mexico :) 
Aaron, a Calling All Skaters student, skating by the ocean
husband in the sunset. from Instagram. 
Love this photo of my husband from instagram
Calling All Skaters crew praying for China 
Shawn Miller and his "magic school sack"
the conference was at the gorgeous YWAM Tijuana campus 
Some of the skaters challenged themselves to pack all of their belongings for our trip in a paper sack. This is Shawn Miller's "magic school sack". 
sunset in Mexico

No comments: