Image Map

Sunday, November 25, 2012

Some holiday magic.

IT'S HERE! IT'S HERE!

Southern California has embraced the holiday magic and I'm THRILLED about it!

Hooray hooray hooray!!

Last night Shaun and I slept in a REAL BED for the first time since Calling All Skaters began in September. ((I'm pretty sure we slept like 15 hours or more last night!)) It was heavenly. My friend Kaylee let us use her apartment in Manhattan Beach while she was away with family and it seriously refreshed my soul. I rested beneath her Christmas tree while Shaun slept last night && talked to Jesus about all kinds of things... Just enjoying the goodness of being in a home and doing NOTHING.

Today I saw a humming bird. She was just sitting on a post. Her wings didn't flap. She didn't move at all. She just rested there. Still graceful and lovely... But not getting anything done. "See Jessica," I thought, "Even a hummingbird needs to rest."

I'm learning that God really does want us to rest. It's part of our design. He rests. Jesus rested. Even a hummingbird rests. Sometimes I get nervous about resting. I worry that I'm being lazy or going to fall behind. But really rest is so important. It gives time for us to reflect on all that God has done. It renews our strength... Through things like sleeping, eating, reading, and prayer. It allows pain to surface (if necessary) so that God can deal with it. (Being busy is often a way of numbing hurts/fears inside.) It prepares us for what is to come.

When we don't rest it is like using a dull saw to cut down Christmas trees. We start with a sharp saw to cut down one tree and it works great. Ten trees later the saw still works but it is taking a bit longer than before. 30 trees later and the saw is barely doing its job. It is taking twice as long to cut down the trees. Why? Because it has become dull. We need to take a break from sawing our Christmas trees to sharpen the saw. That way we can use much less energy and still accomplish significantly more in the end.

I'm so deeply thankful for the rest that God has given me, both last night and today. He is so good to take care of His little ones... And I can really feel Him taking care of me.

So now let Him take care of you, little one. Don't miss your opportunity to rest. Your Lord wants to meet with you and restore your soul too.


Psalm 23.
The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing. He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,
he refreshes my soul.
He guides me along the right paths
for his name’s sake.
Even though I walk
through the darkest valley,
I will fear no evil,
For you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.
Surely your goodness and love will follow me
all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the Lord
forever.




No comments: