Image Map

Monday, May 14, 2012

Receiving the gifts we already have.

This has been a wonderful weekend. Really, I am so grateful to God for bringing my friends here to experience my life with me. I will post about our many adventures soon but for now I am just going to share what I learned yesterday... hopefully as I share it with you it will sink deeper into my own heart, because I really want to get this right. 
Fun moments from our photo shoot Saturday. Joy is a beautiful thing. 



Two little girls receive gifts. They each open their own, but then immediately look at each other's gifts to see who got the better one... Inevitably they are not happy with their own, they want what the other one received.

Have you ever seen that before?

Or what about this...

Have you ever been sitting on Facebook looking at pictures of other people's lives, and then begun to wish that your life was different?
Have you ever looked at her & wished you had what she had?
Or dressed like she dressed?
Or traveled like they did?
Have you ever looked at him and wished you got what he got?

Singles wish they were married. Married ones envy the single. We live in one spot & wish we lived in another. He has this job, or went to this school, or ended up with this girl... but wishes he had done it another way... like that other guy did.

It happens all the time. Too much I think.

It is in our nature to reject what we have & wish for something else. Because somehow we convince ourselves that the grass is greener over there...


Yesterday morning I was encouraged as a Pastor prayed over us that we would,
"Receive the gifts we already have, and die to the ones we don't."



I love that. I love it because it is so easy to wish things were different, and obsess over all of the things I don't have. But when I do that I am missing my life's purpose completely.

This life here is temporary. There is nothing here that can truly satisfy me, and when I decide within myself that this "one thing" that I don't have would make me happy, then I have lost sight of God's reality.

No amount of stuff, no man, no location, no family, no amount of money, no clothing or decor or car or house, no ability, no ministry... nothing can truly satisfy me outside of the love of an intimate relationship with God.

Other things may cause some happiness, they may even numb my heart-ache for a while & make me feel secure- but when we are designed for the eternal, it is impossible for the temporal to give us all we need.

We may think we need all of these "other things" to fill us up, but the truth is that we are blessed. No matter what our life looks like, we have the ability to have a deeply intimate relationship with Jesus right now, and that relationship in itself is enough to bring true joy & satisfaction to anyone.





So rather than focusing on everything we don't have- let us be people who delight in the gifts that we do have. Let's embrace where we are in life & fully give ourselves to the pursuit of God. If we are married or single, rich or poor, no matter what the circumstance... let's recognize it as another beautifully unique opportunity to fall more in love with our Creator.


one of the photos from our recent "Beauty Arise" shoot!-- more to come
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, 
yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and 
momentary troubles are achieving for us an 
eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our 
eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, 
since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal."

2 Corin. 4:16-18

No comments: