Image Map

Sunday, March 31, 2013

A word on happiness.

 

Happy week-after-Easter friends! 
Handsome husband and I have been in Europe for about a week & we are having a glorious time!

My favorite part has been time spent with my Dad. He retired from the Air Force last year and is living in Germany with my step-mom. This trip is the longest time I've spent with him in years. (I don't actually know how many years because I'm not a mathematician... But it's been a looonnngggg time.)
He's really amazing. I don't know if its just because I'm older, but I feel like I am getting to know him for the first time. I like it so much. 

Last week we had a really great talk (with Shaun too) about marriage & happiness. I decided to paraphrase our conversation for you because I thought it was jam-packed full of wisdom... And really... Who doesn't like wisdom?

"Happiness is a tall order."
When people live only for their own happiness they are setting themselves up to fail. Happiness itself is just a result of good circumstances. But circumstances in life will not always lead to feelings of happiness. It is inevitable that difficult things will happen. 

To entrust your happiness to another person... even a spouse,  child, or close friend will leave you unsatisfied. Your job, your location, your finances... none of those things will be able to meet your deepest desire for happiness. If happiness is the only thing that is motivating you to stay committed to something... then you will be much more likely to quit when you no longer feel happy.

Like in a marriage... 
If you are only married because it makes you happy... then divorce will be much easier to consider when things get bumpy and you have a time of not "feeling happy", because you will feel as if your marriage has failed you. 

Happiness is not something to be found outside of yourself. 
Others can't be responsible for your happiness. 
And you shouldn't feel responsible for the happiness of others. 
Happiness is ultimately a choice within yourself. 
A matter of perspective.

So even though happiness is a good thing, it cannot be everything.

And I will add another thought, just because I can...
Happiness is a result of outside circumstances...  but joy is a supernatural gift from God that rests in our hearts,  able to remain unshaken by the things we might face.  
Whether we are walking through a great time, or persevering through a time of struggle,
Jesus wants to fill us with internal joy that will enable us to remain faithful.
It is a sign to us, and to others, that He is alive.

"But may all who search for you be filled with joy and gladness in You..." Psalm 40:16

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So true! You and your Dad looks so much alike..=)Glad you are enjoying your time with him! Love// Rebecca Å