Image Map

Friday, March 22, 2013

LA Style Fashion Week. (Episode 1.)

It came and it went! But not without AMAZING stories!

I arrived to the venue Monday afternoon and walked into a room of at least 50 volunteers. I was standing towards the back as Sarah, the woman in charge, began briefing us all. Within a few minutes she announced "Jessica Hover will be our Dressing Team Supervisor this season, so all dressers please report to her now."

It took everything for me not to burst out laughing.

If you know my story with fashion at all, then you know it has always been like this. I take a step in the direction I feel like God is leading, and somehow I get put into a place of authority.... beginning in fall 2011 when I first volunteered myself to be a "dresser" for Fashion Week in NYC. I had no training or experience, and no natural reason why I should be welcomed backstage... but ultimately it didn't matter. Because when God calls us somewhere, He makes a way for it to go down. So He opened a door, His favor was apparent, and now 6 seasons of Fashion Week later, I am promoted to supervisor here in LA.

And so it began.

Well actually it began the night before...
when my first team member arrived from Mexico. That's right. Mexico.

I had been wondering who would help me with this season's Fashion Week outreach because so many of my Beauty Arise girls were still out doing other incredible things in other places. Dorothea is in Switzerland, Eve and Carrie are still in China, Alissa had been in Arizona because of health issues, Nova is in Norway and Anna is busy getting ready to take a team to Thailand!

I was thinking.... who could possibly come help me at Fashion Week when my team is all over the world?

Silly Jessica. "Is anything to hard for God?"(Genesis 18:14)

How about God brings me a new team? How about He brings them from all over the world? How about He scoops them up and brings them to me from..
 Mexico (Lizbeth),
Venezuela (Lauren),
Canada (Charity),
Michigan (Lauren T.),
and NorCal (Shannon)?

And how about He heals Alissa so she can come be with us?
And what about giving Anna a few evenings to join us too?
And now throw some passionate volunteers from YWAM LA...
and I had a team. Better than I could have asked for or imagined.

And that was Day 1.
We worked Style Fashion Week as the supervisers of the backstage volunteers.
Right from the start we were able to speak into the lives of others who were present backstage.
Praying with models, sharing with other dressers about how our lives had been transformed by Christ, encouraging nervous designers... it goes on and on.

The Spirit of Christ was moving in people's hearts.

What a beautiful thing to be a part of.
More beautiful than any fashion show.


"Now the Lord is the Spirit, 
and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom."

2 Corinthians 3:17 (NIV)
































No comments: