Image Map

Friday, April 13, 2012

Good morning interview with C.S. Lewis

Good morning friends! It's a pleasure to be here on this rainy day in Los Angeles, California. I am honored to have the opportunity to interview world renowned author, and apologogist Clive Staples Lewis (29 November 1898 – 22 November 1963), commonly referred to as C. S. Lewis and known to his friends and family as "Jack".

Jess: Good Morning Mr. Lewis.. If you don't mind I am just going to call you Jack.

Jack (C.S. Lewis) ((In his fabulous Irish accent)): "Good mornin Jessica"



Jess: So Jack, let's just get to it. You are a pretty incredible man. Here you have been dead since 1963, and yet somehow still you are changing lives through your books. What can you tell me about your Christian faith?

Jack: 

Jessica: You know, Jack, you are much more profound than me... but I feel the same. I remember before I was Christian and I had all of these thoughts that I didn't understand. Like I remember being a little girl.. maybe 10 years old.. and feeling like I had already failed at life. Like no matter how hard I tried to do everything right, I still missed it. I remember laying in bed at night and wishing that somehow I could start life over... like go back into my mama's tummy and start again. I literally wanted to be born again. It wasn't until years later when I began trusting Christ, that I realized my desire to start over had been from God. When I accepted Jesus as my Savior I literally got to be born again and start fresh. Even now, as I live in relationship with Him I feel like He is always giving me the fresh starts & new beginnings, I need... because unfortunately I still make a lot of mistakes.

But Jack.. there is something I have been bothered by and I'm wondering if you have any insight. I keep finding that everything that I think will really satisfy me.. everything I hope will make me feel full.. actually doesn't. But I don't mean that I am looking for satisfaction in sinful things. I mean my pure-hearted genuine pursuits of happiness. Like in my marriage, or my travels, or my amazing relationships with people.. or even little things like my favorite food. Somehow it all feels nice and yet I still feel like I'm missing something.

What do you think?

Jack (C.S. Lewis):


Jessica:
Excellent point Jack. Do you have any advice for people like me who are sometimes consumed by looking for earthly things to make us feel happy? Recently for me I have been feeling it in things like- just eating for comfort, or striving to look good or even feeling like I need more money, to buy more things that I don't really need.

Jack (CS Lewis):

Jessica: I like that. Tell me Jack-O-Saurus Rex... Sorry.. I tend to give pet names to people I like. Anyway, what do you have to say about love. I know its a hot topic, but is there anything you feel to share?

Jack:
Jessica: To love is to be vulnerable. Powerful stuff Jack-a-Mo. I have lots of people in my life who are unwilling to give up their lives to follow God because of how much fun they had before. They are afraid that their futures will be stale, bland, and boring. Your thoughts?

Jack: 

Jessica: You know, you are straight to the point. I like that in a man. I also like how you make God part of everything you do. Work, marriage, family, friendships...

Jack:

Jessica: Yeah.. its like how a baby wakes up dependant on mom and dad. They can't live today simply by remembering that mom breast-fed them yesterday... they would die. They need new milk. New diaper changes. New everything. That's how they survive. That's how we survive with God. Full dependance.

Jack:


Jessica: So true Jackson... so true. Actually I find that often I grow the most in times that were the most difficult. Like the really miserable days when I question everything and feel like I can't keep going... When I look back.. its those times that really drew me closest to God.

Jack:

Jessica: Yeah. I hate that. But I get it. I guess thats why I need to be thankful for my relationships. Because God uses those to carry me through. Like when I can't feel God's touch, or hear His voice.. I can feel my friends' hugs.. and hear their encouragement. Do you have anything to say about friendship Jack?

Jack:

Jessica: Exactly. That's God's design. We share the stuff in our hearts.. the yucky stuff... the things that we feel alone in. Then we find out that others face the same junk... and together we can get through.

Well thank you for your time Jack, I appreciate your wisdom. Anything you want to share with our readers to encourage them as they pursue God's best for their futures?

Jack:



Thanks for reading!
Shaun over LA

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think this post is great! Love C.S. Lewis!

Jess Hover said...

Haha thank you! I love him too! So good!