Saturday, April 14, 2012

flat tire.

We got a flat tire the other day driving home in the MIDDLE of the night! Literally.. it was after midnight and we were on the 5 near Long Beach.


Haha no but really, I'm not being sarcastic. As long as we don't die, I love adventures like that.

I was driving and managed to pull over to the side of the road where there was a perfect like spot that tucked us in away from the speedy traffic.

We prayed.

Then we got out and saw that there happened to be orange traffic cones sitting nearby so we put them around our car to help the other cars see us. (Note how cool God is to have those cones there.)

I'm proud to say that I knew how to change the tire! So we did it. And it was so much fun too... I was dancing around, Shaun was being manly and putting on the spare. But then we realized...

the spare was flat too!

Yessss... Another twist in our adventure.

Then a car pulls up to help us. The driver was an AMAZING 30-something-year-old who just happened to have a heart of gold.

He called Triple A for us and let us sit in his car waiting for the tow truck to come.

(This is what we call a "Divine Intervention"- its where God does something God-like and puts people on each other's paths to do something else in an awesome God fashion)

So our new friend, not knowing us at all, asked us what we did for a living and we told him briefly about YWAM and our missionary work. He was super excited. He said that he had been driving by our car and he felt the Holy Spirit tell him that he needed to turn around and come back to help us. So he drove probably 2 or 3 miles out of the way just to come back and help! It turns out that less than a year ago he almost died in a horrific car accident right near where we were stuck.

He shared his story with us--- He was formerly a passionate college student that was on fire for God. But he began to be successful in his work and got complacent. He was hired at an upscale bar in the OC, and before long was caught up in the money, celebrities, women, parties and success. A little while before his accident he had felt God convicting him of his lifestyle and drawing him to a place of realizing how lost he had become in it all. Eventually he quit is job and that night, on his way home from his last night of work, he fell asleep at the wheel.

He almost burned to death. He was almost paralyzed from the neck down due to a spinal injury. He was supposed to be in the hospital 9 months. That means he would still be in the hospital today.

But the accident was an awakening. He was ready to do whatever Jesus wanted. He had surrendered. Less than 2 weeks after the accident he was strong enough to be released from the hospital! But they said it would be 3-6 months before he would be out of the wheelchair. Wrong again. He was walking again within 1 month.

Now he is strong physically and as for his faith.. he is a beast. He loves God so much and is looking for every opportunity to be used by Him.

How incredible is that?? So we talked for a while, shared stories of what God was doing in our lives, encouraged each other... and even made friends with the tow truck driver when he arrived! It was our own little Jesus party on the side of the road!

Then when we finally got our car to the auto-shop it was only $10 to fix the tire.

The whole adventure had only costed us ten dollars.

God is so faithful it is mind boggling.

"God is in the midst of her
she shall not be moved
God will help her 
just at the break of dawn" 
Psalm 45:6

Thank you Jesus.

Photos from the adventure:

1 comment:

Emma said...

wow! that is so awesome!